Who are Petersham Juniors Rugby?
A rugby union club based in Sydney’s Inner West. We are one of the closest rugby clubs to Sydney’s CBD. We are attached to Petersham Rugby Union Club which was formed in 1883, making it Australia’s 2nd oldest rugby club.
If your question is not answered here please contact us
If they were 5 on the 1st of January this year, they can come and join the under 6’s, which is great fun
If your child is slightly younger, we can definitely welcome them too. It is two-hand tag for their first few years of rugby – it is safe and the kids (and parents) have a ball
If you want to try rugby, you can come and train for 2-3 weeks, see if you like it, and then register. No harm done!
We tend to flow as follows
- Start training late Feb / early March
- Games start in the first week of April
- The season finishes in late August
- If your child plays u10’s and above there are finals that may flow into the first week of September
Camperdown Oval in Mallett St, Camperdown CLICK HERE
u6-u11 generally train on Tuesday and u12 to u15 train on Thursday. u16+ train on Friday nights. Sense Rugby, Girls and u11/12s also train on Wednesday nights.
Footy boots are important, along with the training shirt you will receive at the start of the season. From u8 and older, a mouthguard is mandatory at training and games. Headgear is recommended but not mandatory.
- For u6-u9, you participate in the Inner West Minis Competition CLICK HERE. all games are on Saturday at St Luke’s Park (near Concord Oval). The younger teams will start at 8.30am or 9.10am while the u8’s and 9’s may be slightly after
- For u10 and older you are part of the Sydney Junior Rugby Union, CLICK HERE and you are then part of a home/away competition. You will either play on a Friday evening or Sunday morning depending on your team’s decision. Games will alternate between home games at Camperdown Oval and away games hosted by different rugby clubs throughout Sydney.
Similar to the above but there will be a rugby jersey with a number on the back for your child. These are handed back at the end of each game and families take turns with washing the jerseys.
There are no games during school holidays and long weekends and Easter. Training may or may not be on, it is at the discretion of your coach, but we encourage families to continue their holiday plans and enjoy the break if required.
CLICK HERE to register
This season they are as follows:
U6-U9 = $170
U10+ = $210
Family discounts available
- 2nd child = $35 rebate back
- 3rd child = additional $70 rebate
- 4th child = additional $95 rebate
If you are new to rugby, you can try it out for free.
- Kit – club socks, shorts, training shirt and winter hoodie
- A full season of rugby – training, games and fun events
- A coach and a team manager
- If your child makes a Representative team, our club pays those affiliation fees
- Access to club functions – Welcome Day at the start of the year, Parents Night Out in the middle of the Year and Presentation
- Presentation – medals and awards
Petersham Rugby has been playing in the famous maroon and blue strip for over 130 years
We are a little different and have 2 logos
- The traditional Petersham Rugby logo featuring the famous NSW waratah
- Our 2nd one is only a few years old and is the now-famous Super-P logo which makes the kids look like super heroes
We love em both!!
When your child plays in the u10’s or above, they have the opportunity to represent their district. Petersham Juniors, along with Balmain and Canterbury form part of the Sydney University district.
Each age group has their own trials and if your child is selected they will play in the state championships. These are normally around the June long weekend, but can vary by age group.
Sometimes training or games need to be cancelled. Your manager will inform you of cancellations via email or Teamstuff App
Our club is built on the involvement of family, friends and community. The cooperation and collaboration of our parent group is enormous and it gives the kids AND the parent group so much.
There are lots of ways you can help. We promise it will give you a lot of joy and satisfaction.
- Coaching - helping kids develop their rugby skills and build long-lasting friendships
- Manage - help teams get organised - gear, logistics, players, etc
- Refereeing - referee games if you are qualified
- First aid - provide safety support at the ground
- Ground marshalling - prepare and manage all equipment at the ground
- Sponsor (partners)- financial support for jerseys, gear and tours
- BBQ Masterchef - cook up a storm for the club BBQ
- Fundraisers - help manage events to raise money
- Social Organisers - bring families together for fun celebrations
- Gear & Kit Manager - coordinate that all players have all the gear for a game
- Canteen Manager
If you want to get involved, please let your coach or manager know or anyone from the Committee.