Kids enjoy rugby when they are learning how to play the game. So our coaches focus on ensuring all players understand the basics or run, pass, tackle and kick. All the clubs coaches are Smart Rugby certified by Rugby Australia. This covers some key areas - safety, inclusion, technique and overall on/off field participant.
The structure of rugby coaching is established and guided by Rugby Australia. Click here for a summary of all levels of coaching.
To coach junior rugby there are some minimum qualifications required which increase through the age groups. Click here to understand them.
Here is a set of many tools if you wish to know more about coaching.
- The Rugby Site - Petersham Coaches have full member access to this site and it contains instructional videos from the worlds leading Rugby Coaches and Players. It requries a special code to log in so talk to the Club Coach (Dan Waterworth) to access.
- Smart Rugby – to be a coach or referee in Australia, Smart Rugby is the minimum qualification required. Click here for more.
- Coaching Kids – this course is to give you activities and ideas to coach younger age groups. Click here for more.
- Foundation – gives participants the underlying structure to coach and officiate. To gain an ASC Level 1, you must attend a Foundation course. Click here for more.
- Development – designed for senior coaches (+U16s). To gain an ASC Level 2, you must attend a Development Coach course. Click here for more.
- Performance – designed for coaches coaching elite or semi-elite. This course is run by the ARU and is the first step to obtaining a Level 3 in Coaching. Click here for more.
- Re-Accreditation – each qualification & accreditation has an expiry date, ensure you are aware of when yours expires.
Information about where some of these courses are held will be distributed to all team managers throughout the season. Please let your manager know if you are interested and you will receive this information too.