There are a plenty of opportunities for girls to get involved with the Shammies!
Girls can participate in the club as a player, coach, referee or volunteer.
Train & Play
Various options / mixed gender up to 12’s / Sizzling 7’s from u10’s / combine both
- Girls from u6-u12 years of age can train and play junior club rugby in mixed gender teams.
- Girls from u10 - u16 can train and play Girls 7s Rugby
From u12s the girl’s pathway into Women’s Rugby is through the Girls 7s competition. Girls in the u10, u11 & u12 age groups are encouraged to participate in both competitions during the year.
- Under 10s is for girls born 9 or 10 years prior to this year
- Under 12s = 11 or 12 years prior
- Under 14s = 13 or 14 years prior
- Under 16s = 15 or 16 years prior
- Under 18s = 16 or 17 years prior
Sydney Junior Rugby Union Girls Sizzling 7s Rugby is played in 3 waves during the first 3 school terms of the year. It begins in February and breaks for the school holiday period and over the July long weekend.
Petersham girls play under the Sydney University Junior Rugby banner along with 2 other district ‘Village’ clubs, Canterbury & Balmain. SUFC Juniors is 1 of 12 junior rugby districts in the Sydney Metro region. To begin, register with your local village club which is US
Watch this space for more as this is a fast developing area – training details are:
- Wednesdays - each Wednesday 630-745pm at Canterbury Oval, Wardell Rd, Earlwood (Canterbury Juniors home ground)
- Coaching - Coached by Ivan Pomare (former Sydney University Junior Rugby Development Officer).
- Camperdown - Petersham will be offering extra training sessions at Camperdown Oval in Term 3 2018
Saturdays from 4.30pm - 8.30pm with younger age groups generally playing earlier. Two 7 min halves. Head gear, mouth guard, water bottle and rugby boots are required.
Try Rugby Days
Free Try Rugby sessions at Sydney University throughout the year. Aimed at u10-u18 year old girls who have never played before and would like a free introductory session. Girls will have the chance to learn how to run, pass and tackle and get a chance to train with players from the Sydney Uni Women's Rugby team, Australian Wallaroos and Australian AON 7s.
School Holiday Programs
School holiday Rugby Clinics for Girls 7s to help you build your skills during the school holiday breaks. Join Here
Sydney Uni Demonstration Games
Are played during the Shute Shield Series to showcase Girls 7s. Girls in their club jerseys and their families enter free. A great way to spend the afternoon and watch top quality rugby.
Ball Girls for Sydney Uni Lionesses Home Games
Girls aged eight and over are needed to run the sidelines at all home games. Kids receive a free meal and drink at every match! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Jo Bacic (email@example.com)
Schools Coordinator, NSW RU
- Caitlin Aquilina (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Sydney Uni Women's Rugby
- Womens Coordinator (email@example.com)
- Rugby Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ben Hughes, Juniors Coordinator (email@example.com)
Role - Things to know
- Coach - Smart Rugby courses, Codes of Conduct, Blue card, Concussion Management
- Manager - Concussion Management, Blue card online training
- Touch judge (Assistant Referee) - Assistant Referee training and one face-to-face session
- Ground Marshal - For home games only, training provided at Clubhouse at start of season
- Referee - Referee Kids Course or higher accreditation. Home games only.
- Match official - Smart Rugby online training
- ABC TV - BTN
- Inspiration to Girls - Charlotte Caslick
- If Country Girls can, so can we!
- It takes all sizes, even in girls rugby